The University Library is housed in a temporary building and it derived its name from the first Vice-Chancellor of the University, Professor Abdurrahman Ghaji. At take-off in 2002 the Library has sitting capacity for 100 users. Presently the Library accommodates 630 users, including those from Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Social and Management Sciences and School of Remedial and Basic Studies Libraries, respectively. While the design of the permanent University Library complex has been completed, awaiting availability of funds to commence work.
Library Stock: As at 7th September, 2012 the library’s total stock was 39,432 volumes of books. The Adamawa State University Library subscribes to 68 titles of local journals across the 14 programmes of the University, to support the University Teaching, Learning and Research.
(A) Opening Hours: The Abdurrahman Ghaji library’s opening hours is as follows:
- Semester period:
Monday – Saturday – 8:00am – 10: pm
Sunday – – – Closed (For now)
Public Holidays – – Closed
- Vacation Period:
Monday – Sunday – 8:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday and Public Holidays – Closed
The use of the Library is normally permitted to registered users only.
Registration as a library user is open to all persons in the following categories:-
- Full-time and part-time senior teaching/non teaching staff and researchers of the University.
- Registered post graduate students of the University.
- Members of the University governing Council.
- Registered full-time and part-time undergraduate students of the university.
- University employees other than those mentioned above.
- Non- members of the University permitted to use the library by the University Librarian.
Funding of Abdurrahman Ghaji Library is adequate. The funding is enough to provide the desired services.
(d) MISSION OF ABDURRAHMAN GHAJI LIBRARY
The University Library has the responsibility of providing quality information resources and services in support of teaching, learning, research, creative and leisure in the university. We achieved these through the provision of access to recorded knowledge both in print and electronic formats and the internet.
The University Library being the hub of the university is the responsibility of senate to ensure its growth and development. Senate delegates this responsibility to the senate, university library committee under the chairmanship of the Deputy Vice-chancellor (DVC) Academic and direction of the university librarian.
Above this, the University Librarian is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for managing the university library. The University Librarian then delegates some of the responsibilities to the Heads of Divisions who take charge of Collection Development division, Technical Services Division, Readers’ Services Division and Serials, Bindery/Photocopying and Virtual Library Unit.
(e) GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF A.G LIBRARY
The goals which are tied to the objective of the library are:
- to provide access to recorded knowledge both in print and electronic formats and the internet
- to provide the right user book to the right at the right time
- to keep the library resources up-to-date and adequate, this is in terms of quality and quantity.
- to achieve equitable dissemination of the resources through long term and short lending systems, virtual library and the internet.
- to support the teaching, learning, creative,
– systematic acquisition, subscription and organization of books and journals.
– rational distribution of books and journals among the academic programmes.
- academic harmony- this could be archived through the delegation of the responsibility for selection of book resources and related materials to academic staff as follow:
– textbook materials to be selected by lecturers 60%
– reference materials and replacement copies- to be selected by librarians and also the lecturers 40%
– local newspapers to be selected by lecturers, librarians and students.
- maintenance of physical condition of the book collection and related materials which could be achieved through binding, digitization and reinforment.
- participating in resource sharing and networking at state, national and international levels.
- participate in professional conferences, workshops, seminars at state, national and international levels.
(f) VISION OF THE ABDURRAHMAN GHAJI LIBRARY.
The vision of the Abdurrahman Ghaji Library is to develop its library resources both in print and electronic formats. So as to provide effective and efficient services to its users and the university community in general.
(g) SOURCES OF FUNDING
The Abdurrahman Ghaji Library receives a quarterly recurrent subvention ETF Intervention Funds and Internally generated Revenues.
The essence of this organization structure is as follows:
- The introduction of the principle of participatory administration whereby every member of staff is involved in the management of the university library.
- The establishment of a narrow but reasonable span of control for the divisional Heads.
- The maintenance of an effective communications network both vertically and horizontally within the library system.
- The maintenance of a fast and smooth work-flow with the resultant effective and efficient service to users.
- The cultivation, nurturing and systematization of the chain of command structure of modern management of organization.
DIVISIONS, SECTIONS AND UNITS OF THE LIBRARY
The following are the main administrative divisions in the Library:
- Administration Divisions
- Collection Development
- Technical Services Division
- Readers’ Services Division
- Serial Divisions
- Virtual Library
- Bindery/Photocopying Division.
The University Librarian is the head of the university library system. He is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor, for planning, development, day to day administration of the library and coordination of the library service. The university librarian practices participatory management style. He encourages communication both horizontally and vertically through regular meetings. In addition, he delegates responsibilities to all senior staff regarding their division to enable them participate actively in the running of the library system. He also provides the staff schedule of duties to guide them.
The administrative duties and responsibilities of the university librarian include policy formulation and management of the library’s financial and human resources. In a nutshell, the success of the library as an institution depends on the quality and performance of its personnel. This division consists of the University Librarian, Administrative Officer, Confidential Secretary, Clerical Assistant and Clerical Officer (Account).
Collection Development is the process of building up the library collections of both books and book related materials. This is where the Collection Development Librarian brings together a variety of relevant materials to meet the users needs. Collection Development encompasses six elements.
– community analysis (Method of achieving balance collection)
– selection policy
– selection of materials
– evaluation and
In an academic library like ours community analysis is easier because it is based on the already determined academic programmes of the university. Acquisition of materials is based on selection policy which is attached to this document as an appendix. This is to say that acquisition is guided by the library’s mission of supporting the educational objectives of the university which are teaching, learning, research activities and personnel development. The selection of materials is done by the lectures as subject specialist to avert unpleasant relation between the librarian and lecturers. The librarians however selects replacement copies of books and reference materials. Acquisition is a tedious process of checking for bibliographical details of all selected by lecturers, ascertaining whether they are already in the library or on order and determining where to place the order. Most of our books are acquired from local or overseas as books sellers. This division consists of a Collection Development Librarian and two Assistant Library Officers.
TECHNICAL SERVICES DIVISION
The library materials acquired through collection development division are processed in this division. Technical Service is mainly concerned with the provision or bibliographical access points to the resources of the library. This provision of access point is based on six major characteristic of books and journals namely.
– place of publication and the publisher
– edition or series (if any)
– subject and
– call number that distinguishes the book from others on the library shelves.
These details are extracted from each book and inscribed in the library catalogue. The library catalogue serves as a key to the library resources. In Abdurrahman Ghaji Library the classification scheme being used is that of library of congress which is most suitable for academic libraries like ours. It uses both alphabets and numbers e.g. QH 308.2 stand for BIOLOGY. Apart from the Manual Public Access Catalogue (MPAC) there is also the On-line Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) of catalogue cards using computer. This computerization has greatly enhance the efficiency of the division.
Classification of library materials is a means by which books on the same subject or related subjects are brought together and arranged in a logical order so that they would be located on the shelves with ease.
READERS SERVICE DIVISION
The Readers’ Services Division is the image maker of the University Library and therefore, occupies a very strategic position in academic library services. It is the point at which both the readers and books meet; it is this division that has direct contact with the students, lecturers and the university community. The services rendered in Readers Service Division are geared towards satisfying the philosophy of librarianship that, books are for use, every user his book.
This philosophy of librarianship is achieved by Readers service through the followings means:
– Book lending to staff, students and the university community
– Charging and discharging of books
– Assistant to readers in the location of books on the shelves
– Compilation of users’ statistics
– compilation of bibliographies and reading list for users
– Inter-Library loan service
– Books Reserve Service-where books that are in great demand are remove from the open access and kept in a special room at the discretion of lectures and librarians, this is to ensure fair use of the books by all.
– Reference Services
– Production of Library guide-to properly guide the readers in the use of the Library.
– Registration of Library users
– Proper and constant shelve reading to ensure that books are arranged according to their classification marks
– Enforcement of Library rules and Regulations.
There has been controversy in the librarianship about usage of the term serial and periodical. The matter appears to have been resolved internationally by IFLA that each library should use any of the terms provided they are consistent. In Abdurrahman Ghaji Library the term serial is used in preference to periodical to mean “publication issued in successive parts, usually at regular intervals and as a rule intended to be continued indefinitely”. (ALA).
This division has the responsibilities of planning and selection of serials titles in conjunction with faculty members. The Head of this division liaises with the Head of Academic Departments to select relevant journals for subscription. All journals acquired are stamped, accessioned and classified before displaying them on the serials display racks. The Serials Division is responsible for selection acquisition and processing of serials.
The functions of Serials Division are:
– Selection of serials publication in conjunction with lecturers
– Ordering of Serials and Processing same
– Maintenance of cards i.e a record of serials ordered and received
– maintenance of stripdex (serials catalogue)
– charging and discharging of serials (within the library only) at times for overnight use.
– Binding complete issue of volume
– Compilation of subject bibliographies for researcher
– Selective dissemination of information and current awareness service
– Maintenance of back issues of serials
– Magazines and Newspapers services
– Coordinating of daily statistics of serials consulted and all activities of the division.
– Production of monthly. Quarterly and annual statistical reports.
This division consists of the Head of a Division, one Assistant Library Officer and one library Assistant.
The Abdurrahman Ghaji Library has automated some of its Services, presently, Staff and Student of the University do access the library collection on-line through our on-line Public Access Catalogue (OPAC), and also produce our catalogue cards by computer with the help of the Concourse Library software. We still maintain our traditional catalogue Manual Public Access Catalogue (MPAC) for access to the collection in the library. While in the E-Library Unit of the Abdurrahman Ghaji Library, Readers’ can read books on CD’s and download required Journals articles or print the articles from the various Databases of the Library.
Abdurrahman Ghaji Library has successfully developed its e-library wing. That the e-library has been enriched with over 3500 e-books and Journals in its Greenstone digital library software on the intranet network.
i. Ebrary Academic Complete: Ebrary has a dedicated team whose sole focus is to acquire scholarly content from publishers around the world. Nearly all major Academic Publishers are represented in ebrary’s Collection. All titles in the ebrary plat form are seamlessly integrated and include powerful tools for doing research quickly and efficiently. It has unlimited users access to 70,000 ebooks. Through the username and password below on the University network.
Ebrary Academic Complete (Unlimited Users Access to 70,000 ebooks)
User name: adamawa
ii. ABI/Inform Databases from Proquest: This Database provides University Community with scholarly and international Sound Academic e-journals from different discipline. It has unlimited users Access of 4000 ejournals on several programmes of the Community through the user name and password below.
ABI/INFORM databases from ProQuest ((Unlimited Users Access to 4000 ejournals)
User name: ADAMAWA
User ID: ns017466
National Virtual Library
Agora (Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture)
OUP Online Journals
MIT Press Journal
Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
Free Full Text http://www.iree ai11text.coi~/ High Wire http://highwire.stanford.edu/Iists/freeart.cltl
High Wire press: Free to developing economies http://higjnwire.stanford.edu/lists/devecon.dtl
http://www.questia .com/index. Jsp
Furthermore, our users can also access the online Library collections of American University of Yola from our E-Library through inter-library cooperation services.
The division is responsible for rebinding of all library worn out books conduct commercial binding, spiral binding of all sizes photocopying services, lamination of ID cards and certificates, as well as binding of downloaded Journals from the e-library.
a. Faculty of Agricultural Science
b. Faculty of Science
c. Faculty of Social and Management Sciences and
d. Postgraduate Library
Abdurrahman Ghaji Library Staff List
|Bello Y. Dahiru||University Librarian||University Librarian|
|Amina Aminu Raji||Senior Librarian||Head of Technical Services|
|Pius Musa||Librarian I||Head of SBRS Library|
|Mohammed Solomsi||Senior Librarian||Head of Readers Services|
|Lambau K.Boniface||Graduate Librarian|
|Ramatu Filiyaro||Graduate Librarian|
|Murtala Aliyu||Graduate Librarian|
|Ahmed Ghaji||Senior Executive Officer|
|Christiana Samuel||Confidential Secretary|
|Member Y. Abanyi||Senior Driver/Mechanic|
|Zainab S. Ghaji||Cleaner Supervisor|
|Dijah I. Mohammed||Cleaner Supervisor|
|Kwaji Zira||Cleaner Supervisor|
|Nellie Bako||Principal Library Officer||Head of Collection Development|
|Kevin Ambrose||Higher Library Officer|
|David Hannatu||Higher Library Officer||Head of Technical Unit|
|Aisha Hamidu||Higher Library Officer|
|Esther M. Drambi||Library Officer|
|Yinasim Pius||Library Officer|
|Christy Jacob||Assistant Library Officer|
|Nachaskiya Henry||Assistant Library Officer|
|Martha Amos||Assistant Library Officer|
|Sanusi Mua’zu||Library Officer|
|Abubakar Bello||Assistant Library Officer|
|Sunday John||Assistant Library Officer|
|Zechariah Buba||Library Assistant|
|Abdullahi Bobbo||Library Assistant|
|Ahmed Ali||Library Assistant|
|Aishatu Yahaya||Library Assistant|
|John Rebecca||Library Assistant|
|Sadiq Mohammed Solomsi||Library Assistant|
|Gimbiya Confort Sababa||Library Assistant|
|Jummai Mohammed||Library Assistant|
|Naomi Daniel||Library Assistant|
|Shuaibu J. Medugu||Library Assistant|
|Adamu Sahabo Dahiru||Library Assistant|
|Lawan Yunusa||Library Assistant|
|Aliyu Abubakar Inde||Library Assistant|
|Ruth S. Musa||Library Assistant|
|Labauga M. Sohe||Library Assistant|
|Zubairu U. Jarengol||Library Assistant|
|Mamman Isa||Library Assistant|
|Rosiya Buba||Library Assistant|
|Kwanye Sallah||Library Assistant|
|Ladi Hassan||Library Assistant|
|Yusuf Daniel||Computer Operator|
|Malgwi Charles||Computer Operator|
|Henry Lamido||Computer Operator|
|Bashir A. Sheriff||Computer Operator|