School of Remedial And Basic Studies (SRBS)
The School of Remedial and Basic Studies, Adamawa State University, Mubi, Nigeria, was established in 2003. The School was then called School of Foundation and General Studies and was later renamed School of Pre-degree and Remedial Studies. In 2009, the Pre-degree programme was phased out by the Senate of Adamawa State University, Mubi and the Senate approved 18 months IJMB Programme. The name of the School was then changed to School of Remedial and Basic Studies, which is now running two distinct programmes namely:Remedial programme comprising of Remedial Science and Remedial Arts, and the Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) programme. The IJMB Programme is an affiliate of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, whereas Remedial Science and Remedial Arts are programmes operated by Adamawa State University, Mubi.
Remedial Science and Remedial Arts are programmes operated by Adamawa State University, Mubi. The Remedial programme is designed to properly and effectively prepare candidates who have obtained Senior Secondary School Certificates and other related qualifications to easily gain admissions through Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) into any Nigerian University of choice. This programme is structured to run for a year in order to achieve the designed goal.
INTERIM JOINT MATRICULATION BOARD PROGRAMME
In 1976, Interim Common Services Agency (ICSA) established the Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB). The Interim Joint Matriculation Board was established by the then government of the old Northern Region of Nigeria to offer educational and social services to the people of the Northern region. The first examination organized by Interim Joint Matriculation Board was conducted in 1977 for all candidates who had undergone the IJMBE post secondary education programme in the existing schools of Basic/Preliminary studies which had substituted the HSCE. The Institute of Education, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria is saddled with the responsibility of administering IJMB Board. Some members of the IJMB board include amongst others representatives of a variety of education institutions such as Joint Admission Matriculation Board, and Adamawa State University etc.
The Interim Joint Matriculation Board programme is currently structured for 12 month. The sole aim of the programme is to alleviate problems commonly encountered by candidates seeking admissions into the glorious Nigeria Universities instead of the JAMB. The examination used to be conducted in May every year, while the results is being released in due time for admission processing. Recently the programme is restructured and examination will be conducted in February, 2014, while the results will be released sometimes in May or June. This is done to enable prospective candidates purchase a direct entry form from JAMB office and apply to any University of their choice. When admission process begins in either September or October, the candidates are then short-listed for admission into their preferred institution. Candidates are expected to select any THREE (3) A/L SUBJECTS related to their preferred course of study in the University. Candidates with deficiency in O’ level Mathematics and English Language can also remedy these subjects by registering for the O’ level.
On successful completion of the IJMB programme, candidates who have passed the examination can be given certificates which can be used to gain admission into 200 levels in any Nigeria University through direct entry. Most candidates who could not pass either JAMB or post UME usually engage themselves in IJMB programme and quite a number do gain admission into 200 levels, this gives them an opportunity to meet their colleagues/friends in 200 levels. It worthy to mention that IJMB programme has the history of providing a good number of people with admissions into 200 levels of Nigerian University through direct entry.
THE MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the School of Remedial and Basic Studies, ADSU, Mubi is to educate and nurture Students, and to create knowledge. Committed to excellence, we strive to develop candidates capable of gaining admissions into any higher institutions of learning.
To be nationally renowned School with pedigree in producing candidates that successfully passes all kinds of nationally conducted examinations by NECO, NABTEB and IJMB etc.
We are absolutely committed to good services – the freedom to think, and criticize. We will pursue the value of excellence in our work. We will provide our Students with foundations for higher commitment to study, a commitment to higher standards of thought and communication, and a respect for difference among people. We will also prepare them with techniques of passing crucial examinations.
- To prepare Students toward JAMB and IJMB examinations so as to pass and gain admission into any chosen University in Nigeria.
- To help Students remedy their O/L deficiencies.
- To provide Students with technical expertise on how to undertake national examinations conducted by NECO, NABTEB and IJMB.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR REMEDIAL PROGRAMME
- Candidates must have credits in 3 relevant ‘O’ level subjects at not more than two sittings.
- Candidate with ‘O’ level deficiencies in English Language and Mathematic will be asked to register for remedial English and Mathematics.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR IJMB PROGRAMME
- Candidates must have credits in 5 relevant ‘O’ level subjects at not more than two sittings.
- Candidates must offer three (3) subjects of approved combinations.
- Candidate with ‘O’ level deficiencies in English Language and Mathematic will be asked to register for remedial English and Mathematics along-side his/her major “A” level subjects.
LIST OF STAFF
- Director: Dr. Musa, Idris Atadashi, B.Eng (CHEM ENG, ABU, Zaria), M. Eng (CHM. ENG, ABU, Zaria), PhD (CHM. ENG., University of Malaya). Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: 07037925714
- Coordinator Social and Management Sciences: Mr. M.B Bashir, BBEd, M.Ed (Business Education). Email: email@example.com.
- Coordinator Science: Mr. Shinggu D. Yamta, B.Sc (Chemistry), M.Sc (Chemistry). PhD, in view (Chemistry).
- Examination officer: Mr. Toma Ibrahim, B.Sc (Biochemistry) M.Sc (Biochemistry), PhD in view (Biochemistry).
- Administrative Secretary: Mr. Sawa Bello Eli (BAEd French).
NON ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF
- Confidential Secretary: Mr. Simon Majihu (ND, Secretarial Studies, FED, Poly, Mubi).
- Mal. Abubakar Bello, Senior Clerical Officer.
- Mal. Saad, Ishaq Idris, Clerical Officer.
- Mrs. Grace Nexson, Clerical Officer.
- Mr. Anthony Augustine, Head Cleaner
- Mal. Hamidu Rabiu, Driver/Mechanic.
- Prof. Mohammed. Saquib, B.Sc., M.Sc., PhD (Botany).
- Mr. Moses P.H Demshemino, B.Sc., M.Sc in view, (Zoology).
- Mr. Uzo, D. Raymond, B.Sc (Chemistry), M.Sc (Chemistry), PhD in view (Chemistry).
- Mr. Yakubu Sule, B.Sc. (Chemistry), M.Sc in view (Chemistry).
- Dr. S.K. Singh, B.Sc (Physics), M.Sc. (Physics), PhD (Energy Physics).
- Mr. Haruna Peter Wante, B.Tech (Physics), M.Sc in view (Energy Physics).
- Mr. Stephen Simon, B.Tech (Mathematics), M.Sc (Mathematics).
- Mal. Mohammad, Mamun Dodo, B.Tech (Mathematics).
- Mal. Abubakar H. Gabdo, B.Sc (Mathematics).
- Mr. Ajorin, Olufemi Jacob, B.Sc-Ed (Geography), M.Sc (Population/Urban Geography Bias).
- Mr. Yohana, Yaudan, B.Sc (Geography).
- Mr. M.B Bashir, BBEd, M.Ed (Business Education).
- Mal. Mohammed Sali, B.Sc (Management).
- Dr. Abdul Salam Jibrin, B.Sc, M.Sc, PhD.
- Mr. Slemen Lamba B.Sc (Economics), M.Sc. (Economics).
- Mr. Ishiaku Tomas, B.Sc, M.Sc (Accounting).
- Mal. Mohammed Danjuma, B.Sc, M.Sc (Accounting).
- Mal. Dahiru Umar Jongur, B.Sc (Pol. Sci., ABU, Zaria), M.Sc (Pol. Sci., ABU, Zaria), PhD in view, (Pol. Sci. ABU, Zaria).
SALE OF APPLICATION FORMS FOR 2013/2014 ACADEMIC SESSION
Application forms are available for both Remedial and IJMB programmes at the under listed places, at the cost of five thousand Naira (N5000) only. This amount excludes bank charges.
- Main Street Bank PLC, Mubi : 0572247097418
- ADSU, Mubi Liaison Offices in Yola and Abuja
SUBMISSION OF COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS
Completed application forms accompanied with photocopies of all credentials which should include examination Certificates/Statement of results and Indigene letter should be forwarded to any of the following offices not later than 30th December, 2016.
- Office of the Director, School of Remedial and Basic Studies (SRBS), ADSU,Mubi.
- Adamawa State University Liaison office Dougire, near GGSS Yola.
- ADSU, Mubi Liaison office, Road 311, House 19 Gwarimpa FHA, Abuja.
Note: All admitted candidates are to come with all original copies of their credentials for screening.
IJMB GRADES POINTS
The grading of IJMB score points are as follows:
70-100% (A) 5 Points
60-69% (B) 4 Points
50-59% (C) 3 Points
45-49% (D) 2 Points
40-44% (E) 1 Points
39% Below (F) 0 Points
For a candidates that register for three 3 (A/L) Subjects with grade such as Chemistry B., Physics B., Mathematics A., the Total number of points scored will be as shown below:
Physics B= 4 Points
Chemistry B= 4 Points
Mathematics A= 5 Points
Total: 13 Points + 1 Bonus Point
A bonus point is awarded to every candidate if he or she does not score (F) in any of the subjects registered.
ACCEPTANCE OF IJMB RESULTS
IJMB result is automatically accepted by the following Nigerian Universities for direct entry (200L) admission. These Universities include amongst others:
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- University of Uyo,Uyo.
- University of Calabar.
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin.
- Federal University of Technology, Minna.
- University of Jos.
- Adamawa State University, Mubi.
- Delta State University, Abraka.
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology.
- Cross River State University of Science and Technology.
- Benue State University.
- All Universities in Northern, North central and Middle belt in Nigeria.
- All Private Universities in Nigeria.